[WT-support] Fraunhofer Codec in Windows 10

paterson gordon gordon.paterson at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 2 22:49:48 CEST 2015

Hi.

I have a Windows 10 virtual machine installed so I quickly installed
Wintest  4.15 with no issues. I was logged on as admin and ran the
installer as admin too. I never registered WT as I see no need for this
test.

I downloaded and installed the Chortkeh fix exactly as described by Scott
K0DQ and it installed first time. No registry backup done and the Fraunhofer
codec is certainly listed in the MP3 Preferences Configuration windows now.

I only briefly tested it as follows:

I copied a previous contest folder and MP3 file and opened it in Wintest.
It played the MP3 file perfectly and skipped from QSO to QSO fine using Alt
Gr and up or down keys. That was recorded using LAme on a Windows 7 32 bit
laptop.  The file was 3 hours long and had about 160 qso's. Not bad for a
VHF contest.

I then created a new contest and fed in some audio from another pc. It was
Dire Straights actually. I started the MP3 recorder and The Windows 10 pc
recorded it fine. After a minute I stopped recording. I then played back
the newly recorded audio again without error.

That concluded my very short test but it seemed to work fine.  I was using
a development version of W10 in a VMWare Player so not a typical install
but it seemed to be working.

The actual retail version of Windows 10 is due out 29th July.

HTH.

Gordon
MM0GPZ