[WT-support] External PTT vs u2R

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Oct 13 00:20:36 CEST 2015

Personally I think it's much more reliable to connect band decoders
directly to radios, rather than relying on software to generate it.  But
maybe you using a TS-590S with no band data output available for automatic
antenna switching without a computer.

I've previously mentioned that pins on the LPT port may be used for band
data outputs, but only for the "active" radio I think, so that doesn't
really work for SO2R, but should work OK for multi-op with one radio per
computer.  Adding a PCIe or ExpressCard LPT port to each computer should be
cheaper than adding a u2R to each computer, if all you need is band
decoding.  LPT port also gives you CW and PTT and many other useful pins
all on one connector, not just band data.