[WT-support] STRANGE HAPPENINGS

Don Beattie don at g3bj.com
Sun Jul 12 14:25:42 CEST 2015

After many years of faultless operation with Win-Test, the IARU Contest
showed a very strange fault. Let me describe it.

I was running 2 x FT5000 in SO2R, using a Microham u2R controller. This is
the same arrangement that I have used for yours without any issues.

On several occasions the following fault would develop when on CW. Win-Test
would start by losing the full CW message on the insert key. It would still
send 599 + zone when pressing the insert key, but the call sign was not
linked to it. So I would finish the QSO manually, and log it. On pressing
<enter> to log the QSO , Win-Test changed the next logging line to SSB! I
could not change it back to CW, even though the rig was set to CW, and I was
still able to key it manually. The only cure I found was to change bands on
the rig (eg from 15m to 20 then back to 15m) and Win-Test would then return
to CW.

I tried to work out what the environment was when this happened ( it
happened about 6 times in the contest this weekend). The only common factor
was that just before the fault, I had been bringing spots down from the band
map into the second rig - on SSB - by clicking on the spot, and so moving
the second FT5000's "A" VFO. I had also been switching the active radio
using the "*" key and switching the latch on the u2R. So I think there is
something happening when making adjustments to the second transceiver, which
seems to upset the first one.

Has this been seen before? If so, is there something I can do about it? I
don't often take part in multi-mode contests, so have not noticed this
before. I'm using 4.17, - ie the latest release.

73

Don, G3BJ / G5W

www.g3bj.com