[WT-support] Displaying K3 state in Win-Test

John Loftus vk4emm at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 09:09:01 CET 2015

Thanks Bob for raising my awareness of other options. I have learned more about how things work. At the risk of straying off topic, others might be interested in my findings for each option.
Omni-Rig is an outstanding piece of software that streamlines two-way communication between win-test and a list of 120 radios. Other loggers use Omni-Rig for the same reason. There is one snag. Omni-Rig handles 30 parameters that focus on mode and frequency variables. Omni-rig needs programming work to add other parameters such as NR, NB, ANT, RX, ATT, PRE and others. That programming work (out of my depth) would enable enhancement of win-test, and other contest loggers, for at least 120 different radios. For anyone with the time and skills, Alex (VE3NEA) has kindly provided the source code at: http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/
Win-test works great with the free TeamViewer software on the same PC. Win-test with TeamViewer provide a relatively low-cost entry into remote operation. TeamViewer is a breeze to install and works flawlessly with win-test. Win-test manages LUA scripts to command a radio but, as you say, LUA scripts cannot read responses.
I'm trying to get my head around  Com0Com. It seems to be a virtual null-modem connection between a pair of software applications - saves hardware. I'm searching to see how Com0Com enables multiple applications access to a single serial port on a radio. Omni-Rig seems to provide that service now.
MicroHam make great products that work well with win-test. However, for this application that option adds a lot of complexity and the likelihood of new problems emerging under certain conditions.
RemoteRig looks attractive for anyone with dollars to spend on the boxes and the extra radio specific hardware. The reviews are excellent. I still need to learn more about how RemoteRig deals with latency - especially for top level contesting.
I would like to receive emails from other win-test contest operators about experience with remote operation.
In summary, I'm delighted with win-test as it is. Programming work on Omni-rig would enable a step forward for all loggers and all radios.
73, John - Vk4CT / VK4EMM