[WT-support] QTCs in WAE

Ed, GW3SQX ed at g3sqx.net
Mon Aug 10 10:49:55 CEST 2015

I was happily using the latest Win-test in WAE CW at the weekend, making
QSOs and receiving QTCs, mainly from the USA.  Having taken a few hours
sleep on Friday night, I went back to the shack, to find that Window XP
had crashed with a "serious error" and had restarted Windows.

I had left Win-test running, and had to restart it -- of course there
was no WT4 file.  But having taken the precaution of having Win-test
save a BAK file every 15 minutes, I just loaded up the latest one, and
found all my QSOs intact.  I was however surprised to find that all my
QTCs had vanished, and spent several puzzling minutes pestering non-EU
stations to send QTCs when they had already sent me the full complement.

It seems that QTCs are stored elsewhere, i.e. not the BAK file, and
perhaps they have to be loaded up separately.  I can't find anything in
the wiki about this.  At the end of the contest the current log file
contains QSOs up to the crash but with no QTCs, and then the QSOs and
QTCs from that point intact.

Once I knew what had happened, I could work out reasonably well from the
log which were the stations who had already sent me QTCs, but obviously
I don't now have details.  I see there are QTC files in the WT main
directory, so is there a way of retrieving the full log (or just the
QTCs) at a point just before the crash?  Then I could reconstruct the
Cabrillo file from the "before" and "after" segments.

Is this a bug?  I would have thought that at least the BAK file could
contain a flag for Win-test to say to the user that here are QTCs to be
loaded from another file -- refer to the wiki.  Anyway, a solution would
gain me some extra points, and restore them to the QTC senders who will
not otherwise get credit.

73,  Ed
GW3SQX (GW7O)