[WT-support] SO2R settings with 2 PCs

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Sep 24 00:46:27 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Anton Koval, MW0EDX <m0edx at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I had a brief look at the Win-Test Wiki manual and it seems that I should
> chouse the Multi Op setting as I have 2 PCs, am i right ?
>
> Any input on the best way to set up my SO2R setup is appreciated.

Win-Test SO2R mode was never designed to support a single operator using
two PCs and two keyboards; it was designed for those using a single
computer to control two radios, and an SO2R box such as your DX Doubler to
control the headphones and the TX radio.  You need a PC with a real LPT
port (parallel port) to properly use a DX Doubler as a computer-controlled
SO2R box.

However, many SO2R contesters *are *successfully using Win-Test with two
PCs and two keyboards, networked, but Single-Op, with a unique station ID
on each PC.  This requires a foolproof hardware lockout system that
prevents both radios from transmitting at the same time, no matter how they
being keyed (internal keyer, internal CW memory, internal voice keyer,
external keyer, tune button, etc.).  With help from N6KR of Elecraft, I
designed a simple lockout circuit for the Elecraft K3 using the TX Inhibit
lines:  http://bit.ly/K3lockout .  While it prevents both radios from
transmitting at the same time, there is no priority system.  If both radios
try to transmit at the same time, neither one will be able to transmit at
all.  The original design had a priority switch, but the K3 does not stop
transmitting fast enough when TX Inhibit is asserted, so this priority
scheme had to be abandoned.

I do not know how to do the same circuit for Icom radios, but maybe you can
come up with something similar.  I leave that up to you.  All I will say is
that *if you are using two PCs with Win-Test, you will be subject to
disqualification or similar if your two radios are ever detected to be
transmitting at the same time*, which is easy to do if you press F1 on both
keyboards.  Win-Test does not have a software lockout system.  Even if it
did, it could not prevent you from keying both radios at the same time via
other means, such as the internal keyer.

Consider also that two networked PCs don't work so well for serial number
contests such as WPX CW because there is no serial number reservation
system, so it's very easy for Win-Test to send one serial number in the
exchange, but then log another when you press Enter to log the QSO.

In sum, if you want to do SO2R with Win-Test, one computer is easier than
two, especially if it has an LPT port that can take full advantage the
capabilities of your DX Doubler.

Finally, remember that you should really master SO1R contesting before ever
attempting SO2R contesting.  It's much easier to build an SO2R station than
to successfully operate one.  Much practice is required.