[WT-support] How to use CW message stored in K3 memory

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Oct 27 20:00:14 CET 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM, IZ4MJP Franco <franco at iz4mjp.com> wrote:

> Thanks to some script suggeste by Bob N6TV (tnx again)  i now could use
> the voice messages stored in the internal DVR of my K3 (M1 to M4) within
> WinTest.
> Now i'm wondering if i can do the same on the CW side (to use the CW
> messages stored in the internal memory of the K3) during a contest.

It's possible, but not useful for contesting.  It's much more practical to
have Win-Test generate and send all CW, such as logged callsigns and serial
numbers.  The K3's CW generator also has a limitation:  there is no "CT
Space" mode (6-dit word-space instead of 7-dit).  In other words, for
critical contest timing, the K3 ASCII to CW code generator pauses too long
between words.

> Is there a way to command the CW Keyer of the K3 with Win Test (without
> external HW like MicroHam or WinKey)?

The K3scripts.zip file (at http://bit.ly/wtscripts) includes LUA scripts to
control K3 internal keyer *speed*, so that it matches the CW speed that
Win-Test is generating (they can also be configured to send a few WPM
* slower* than Win-Test if preferred).  MatchCWSpeed.zip can also be used
to automatically change your CW speed when you click on on RBN spot.

You do not need *any* external HW or microHAM or WinKey to have Win-Test
send great CW to a K3.  You can use the serial cable you already have
connected to the K3, and you can leave your paddle plugged into the K3 at
the same time.

Please read my post titled How to get clean fast CW out of a K3 without
using CW QRQ mode
<http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2013-November/083384.html> .
Paragraph 4 has all the serial port setup details.