[WT-support] Interface Requirement for Win-Test

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri May 9 23:28:31 CEST 2014

Yes, all of these radios can be controlled by Win-Test.  See
http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Supported_rigs.  Connections are covered in
detail each radio's manual, which you can easily find online with Google
searches.

   - TS-2000 via serial port
   - TS-590S via USB port (virtual serial port), or serial port (it has
   both)
   - IC-718 via CT-17 CI-V level converter or equivalent (box between
   serial port and radio)

If you connect a a USB-to-Serial adapter to your PC (because newer machines
do not have real 9-pin serial ports), make sure it uses the FTDI chipset,
not the cheaper Prolific chipset.  Many people have had trouble with
Prolific device drivers and so-called "Prolific" devices (many of which are
illegal imitations that probably won't work with Prolific's drivers).

GearMo makes a good USB-to-Serial adapter that provides 4 FTDI serial
ports, see

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ETDC8K

The hardest part will be finding something to connect to the IC-718 since
the CT-17 is very expensive.  You may want to look for something else by
searching for "CT-17 alternative."