[WT-support] Wintest WRTC-version problem with microHam

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Jun 28 19:06:03 CEST 2014

Instead of using the microHAM control protocol for everything, I have had
the best success using LPT port or COM port only, for CW keying and PTT (no
WinKey) (note:  built-in to K3 COM port if you use CONFIG: PTT-KEY =
RTS-DTR), use KDVR3 voice keyer and my Win-Test scripts (
http://bit.ly/wtscripts) or Enable Sound Card = USB Voice Codec for voice
keyer (instead of external voice keyer), and SO2R via Classic Auto Control
via LPT or COM port pins instead of USB commands.

In sum, uncheck the Control port labeled "microHAM MK2R+" in Win-Test, and
use virtual COM or LPT for CW, PTT, SO2R.  Use MK2R as a sound card rather
than a voice keyer.  Also, enable just one COM port per radio, not two.

For more details and screen shots, see

http://www.microham.com/Downloads/MK2R_Win-Test_LPT_Setup.pdf

This guide documents the use of "Classic SO2R" with the LPT port, but you
can also use virtual COM port pins for all required functions if you have
no LPT port.  You can also use COM port for CW keying instead of WinKey or
LPT.  Connect paddle to each radio keyer, or use MK2R for hand keying only
(use Win-Test for computer-generated CW instead of WinKey).

This should eliminate all delays caused by handshake / communications
problems between Win-Test and the Router.