[WT-support] Problems with V4.13

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jul 6 08:19:14 CEST 2014

I tried to replicate this problem on Windows 7, 32-bit.  First I
reinstalled WT 4.12, and verified that it worked OK. Then I ran
wt-4.13.0-update.exe
<http://download.win-test.com/v4/bin/wt-4.13.0-update.exe>. Previously, as
is my usual practice, I ran the full installer, wt-4.13.0.exe
<http://download.win-test.com/v4/bin/wt-4.13.0.exe>, rather than the
update, and experienced no problems.

However, something unusual did happen when I ran the updater.  The update
completed fine, but when I started Win-Test, after a long delay, I got what
I believe to be a false alarm from Norton Security Suite.

Warning:  "Security Risk Detected SONAR.Heuristic.120"

I think this happened because the program was "new", the anti-virus program
saw wt.exe loading and reading files that were installed by a different
program at a different time, and it saw Win-Test "Network activity" (all
normal for Win-Test, but unusual for other programs).

Anyway, I told Norton to ignore the error, and WT 4.13 came up fine.  I
then saved wt.exe and ran the full installer and compared the the wt.exe
file created by the two installers, and they were identical.

Finally, I uploaded wt.exe to VirusTotal.com, and only 4/54 virus checkers
marked it as suspicious, which is pretty normal for a Themida-encrypted
executable file like Win-Test.

So, my recommendation is to restore you original WT.INI used with WT 4.12,
then try running the full WT 4.13 installer, rather than the updater.  If
you still get the same error, I would temporarily disable any anti-virus
program and try to start Win-Test again.

At no time did Win-Test 4.13 start in demo mode or require re-registration.