[WT-support] CORRECTING: Win-test newbie questions Part II

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Mon Jan 13 22:06:35 CET 2014

Continued from Part I post:

Ordinarily  the router/switch assigns the ip addresses.  I assume that I need to connect each computer
  directly to the switch like in CT windows?

Are you using some type of Ethernet-to-RS232 converter box?  That would be very unusual, but as long as you know which serial port you use with CT, use the same serial port with Win-Test.  Normally one only connects computers to a Router/Switch, via Ethernet cables with RJ-45 connectors, not radios.

Aha!  So the two computers are then networked together via Win-test?  So that is different than CT Windows where I needed to have both
computers connected to the switch via USB cables?

  4) I want to have the keying from each computer through the LPT port.  Do I still need to download and

  install the DLPortio file on each computer?  Would I install this file in one of the Win-test subdirectories?

Yes, save DLPortiIO.dll in your Win-Test installation directory, normally C:\Program Files\Win-Test\.

Roger.

   5) How will Wintest know how to access the soundcard in each computers to let me control the
  Voice Keying functions?  Am I better off connecting the original Nel-Tech DVK 100 or using a MFJ-434?

Looking at the Nel-Tech manual I don't see any way to control it via computer.   Or do you already have that working with CT?

I used the headset audio to feed the directly into the input of the DVP card which was installed into the computer (and works
with DOS but not Windows).
The DVP had two outputs – output which I fed into into the input of the DVK and the other output which fed directly into
the mic jack on the Yaesu.  When I pressed the appropriate keyboard key, the DVP keyed the radio with the selected
DVP message.

If so, you can probably make it work with Win-test.  Again type SETUP [Enter] in the logging window.  Check the LPT box and press the nearby Configure... button.  Select the pins that you want to use to control your DX Doubler, and your external DVK.

If that doesn't work, you will have to interface the sound card output to the FT-1000MP mic. or PATCH inputs. Ground loop problems (loud hum and noise) are common though.  A Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator between the sound card speaker/headphones output of your PC and the MP "PATCH" input may or may not fix it; you will have to experiment.

Ok – so it may or may not work well.

  If any of you have used the original K1EA DVP, how does the voice keying with Win-Test and a “stock” computer soundcard

  compare to the DVP?

It's almost as good, but on slow computers, there can be some slight delays, and RFI/noise issues can be a big problem when using PC sound cards.

Roger.  Hopefully that will not be a problem for me.  If it is an issue, is there an external voice-keyer that is known to work well with WinTest
and WIN XP computer soundcards?

  I know that I will have many more very basic questions as I get started on this and I thank the list in advance
  for their understanding and patience with my beginner questions as I make this transition.

Tnx & 73

Bob KQ2M

Again, please try searching the PDF Wiki or reflector archives first, before posting a new question.  Thanks.