[WT-support] CORRECTING: Win-test newbie questions

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Jan 13 20:31:56 CET 2014

First, please download the Wiki documentation in PDF format, since it is
often easier to search a PDF file for answers than to use the search
feature on the Wiki site <http://docs.win-test.com>.  Just go to
http://download.win-test.com/docs/en/ and download and save *manual.pdf*.
 Do not bother with manual.zip at this time (it contains HTML files).

Second, please use the search box on the following web page to search the
Win-Test reflector archives for answers, e.g. enter they keyword "Doubler"
and you will find lots of hits explaining how people got the DX Doubler
working with Win-Test.

http://www.win-test.com/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=1720

In sum, you control the DX Doubler via the LPT (on one computer).  See

http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2011-February/080824.html

but you don't need to do any of that if you prefer manual SO2R switching as
you have it today.

Other info. below.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 8:08 AM, Bob Shohet, KQ2M <kq2m at kq2m.com> wrote:

>   I am using two FT1000MP’s in an SO2R setup with two WIN XP computers
> which have an LPT port
> that I intend to use for keying with the W1WEF interface.

Win-Test supports computer keying via the LPT port, same as CT.  But paddle
input on the LPT port is not supported.

>  1) I believe that it is best to connect the DX doubler to the RS232
> ports of each ‘MP and then use that output
> to drive Win-test and all the switching of the other devices, correct?

The DX doubler doesn't have any RS232 (serial) ports.  It has a 25-pin LPT
port (J9) that connects to your computer.   See page 4 of the DX  Doubler
Manual <http://www.qth.com/topten/dxdman.pdf>.  Leave all the wiring the
way you had it working with CT.

>   2) Then does Win-test automatically sense the correct active ports in
> each computer to use, as well as the best radio settings or do I need to
> configure them specifically for the FT1000MP?  I assume that these radio
> settings should be identical to the ones that I used in CT DOS?

Nothing is "sensed" automatically.   You have to tell Win-Test which serial
port on your computer is connected to the FT-1000MP.  Just start Win-Test,
type SETUP [Enter] in the logging window, and fill in the form, setting
Radio 1 to FT-1000MP (at the bottom).  Click the *Configure...* button next
to the serial port and select "FT-1000MP default settings" to set up all
the parameters in one click, then press *OK *(twice), and it should work
right away.  Do the same thing on both computers.

>   3) If I understand correctly, Win-test asks you to manually assign ip
> addresses to each radio.

Most radios, including the FT-1000MP do not have an IP addresses.   They
are assigned to a serial port like COM1, COM2, etc.

Since I have all devices connected to a 24 port switch connected to a
> LinkSys router, do I still need to manually set this?

There should be no Ethernet cables connected between your FT-1000MP and
your LinkSys router or Ethernet switch, just a simple straight serial cable
with DB-9 female connectors on both ends connected between your Windows XP
machine and your FT-1000MP.  If you already have it working with CT, you
don't need to change any wiring to make it work with Win-Test.

>  Ordinarily  the router/switch assigns the ip addresses.  I assume that I
> need to connect each computer
> directly to the switch like in CT windows?

Are you using some type of Ethernet-to-RS232 converter box?  That would be
very unusual, but as long as you know which serial port you use with CT,
use the same serial port with Win-Test.  Normally one only connects
computers to a Router/Switch, via Ethernet cables with RJ-45 connectors,
not radios.

 4) I want to have the keying from each computer through the LPT port.  Do
> I still need to download and
> install the DLPortio file on each computer?  Would I install this file in
> one of the Win-test subdirectories?

Yes, save DLPortiIO.dll in your Win-Test installation directory, normally
C:\Program Files\Win-Test\.

  5) How will Wintest know how to access the soundcard in each computers to
> let me control the
> Voice Keying functions?  Am I better off connecting the original Nel-Tech
> DVK 100 or using a MFJ-434?

Looking at the Nel-Tech
manual<http://www.nel-techlabs.com/manuals_legacy/dvk100m.pdf>I don't
see any way to control it via computer.   Or do you already have
that working with CT?

If so, you can probably make it work with Win-test.  Again type SETUP
[Enter] in the logging window.  Check the *LPT* box and press the nearby
*Configure...* button.  Select the pins that you want to use to control
your DX Doubler, and your external DVK.

If that doesn't work, you will have to interface the sound card output to
the FT-1000MP mic. or PATCH inputs. Ground loop problems (loud hum and
noise) are common though.  A Radio Shack Ground Loop
Isolator<http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214>
between
the sound card speaker/headphones output of your PC and the MP "PATCH"
input may or may not fix it; you will have to experiment.

 If any of you have used the original K1EA DVP, how does the voice keying
> with Win-Test and a “stock” computer soundcard
> compare to the DVP?

It's almost as good, but on slow computers, there can be some slight
delays, and RFI/noise issues can be a big problem when using PC sound cards.

 I know that I will have many more very basic questions as I get started on
> this and I thank the list in advance
> for their understanding and patience with my beginner questions as I make
> this transition.

Again, please try searching the PDF Wiki or reflector archives first,
before posting a new question.  Thanks.