[WT-support] Winkey not working

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Feb 17 15:37:20 CET 2014

You *MUST* disable all power saving/sleep settings in Windows.
Without activity, Windows will cause the virtual ports to sleep
and since you did nothing to "wake" the ports they were not
open.

In general, Win-Test continues to poll the radio ports even if
the radios are turned off.  However, there is no periodic polling
of either WinKey or the MK2R "control" port so Windows will close
both during a long "off time" depending on your power saving and
sleep settings.

> The MicroHAM Winkey was working OK when testing from the router.

Testing from Router does not utilize the virtual ports.  The Eltima
VSPAX virtual port engine is used as a "front end" for applications
to access Router.  Router handles all communication with the the
hardware.

Again, putting a computer to sleep or into hibernate rather than
performing a full power down shut-off is bad practice.  If you must
do so, at least perform a *restart* when resuming operation so that
all drivers (including the Eltima VSPAX virtual ports) are refreshed
and reloaded.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV