[WT-support] keying delay

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Dec 3 22:06:42 CET 2014

Steef,

Is packet "Stream Logging" enabled?  Right click on the Alt-O window to see
if that option is enabled (checked).  If so, it means every single byte of
incoming RBN traffic is being written to disk, which causes a huge amount
of I/O overhead.  Opening a browser at the same time will slow down this
disk I/O even more.  Uncheck it.

Stream logging may be the root cause of the all keying delays (WinKey) or
CW Stutter (COM port DTR keying) that you see.  *Please disable Stream
Logging* in the Alt-O window, and *disable Incoming spots logging *in the
Alt-A window, and repeat your test.  Does the CW still stutter?

Take a look in your /log directory.  Chances are high you will see a huge
.pkt file there, probably tens of megabytes.  There is also a separate
incoming spots log (.dxc file) written disk (from the Alt-A window).

In sum, disabling all spots logging may resolve all the delay / stutter
problems.  Please test and report.