[WT-support] KEYING DELAY

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Dec 2 19:33:19 CET 2014

Thanks for the screen grabs.  I think having both a WinKey PTT lead of 30
ms and a PA PTT lead of 30 ms is too much.  Most modern amplifiers require
no more than 10-12 ms PTT lead time.  However, it sounds like the delay was
on the order of 1000 ms so this is probably not the cause.

Was the PTT closure itself delayed, or the CW after the PTT was closed?

*Did you disable "Incoming spot logging" in the Alt-A window and "Stream
logging" in the Alt-O window as recommended for RBN connections?  *Right
click and uncheck those if selected.  Please re-run your SH/DX test.  Do
things improve?

>From Release.txt:

- DX Spots window (Alt-A) : New option to enable/disable logging of
  the incoming spots in the .dxc file. It is enabled by default. Under
  some circumstances (slow antivirus inspection, slow HDD, etc.),
  saving every spot (especially when using the RBN) was making Win-Test
  less responsive. The op-entered spots are always saved to allow their
  restoration on log startup. Tnx HA1AG @ ED9M.

- Packet window (Alt-O) : New option to enable/disable logging of
  the packet stream in the .pkt file. It is enabled by default. Under
  some circumstances (slow antivirus inspection, slow HDD, etc.),
  saving the packet data stream (especially when using the RBN) was
  making Win-Test less responsive. Tnx HA1AG @ ED9M.

Excessive disk I/O may cause interrupt overloads, even on a fast computer,
and that may slow down serial communications with the WinKey.  It's only a
guess.

Also, we you using a WiFi LAN, or all hard-wired, or a combination?   A
100% hard-wired LAN will be much more reliable and require less overhead.

Which RBN server and port were you connecting to?

wtDxTelnet only needs to run on a single computer.  You should only have
one copy of wtDxTelnet running on the entire LAN (or two if you want to
connect one to a local skimmer and a second to a remote DX Cluster node),
though it's hard to understand why heavy wtDxTelnet activity would slow
down WinKey serial port I/O.

Win-Test communication with the WinKey maxes out at 1200 baud.  I guess
it's possible that such communication is delayed when there is heavy LAN
traffic, though I can't understand why a leading dot would get truncated
unless PTT lead delay was 0 ms.