[WT-support] wtRotators - wrong Baud rate for Spid RAK

Ivo 9A3TY 9a3ty at zadar.net
Fri Nov 15 16:24:11 CET 2013

On 14.11.2013 19:45, Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:

> Did you power everything (rotator controller and computer) off and on
> after changing these settings to reset everything to initial conditions?
Yes.

> Did you change the rotator type to Hygain DCU-1 in wtRotators?
Yes.

> Did you configure wtRotators with an antenna on every band as shown in
> the Wiki Pages
> <http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Rotators#Configuring_wtRotators_.28single_PC.2C_no_network.29>?
>  If not, wtRotators won't operate the controller at all, so it may
> never reset the baud rate.
Well, I don't know what you mean with "on every band". Do I have to
include WARC bands too? :-)
I tried with just one band. Entered name of antenna "dipole" and
selected 20m. BTW, I think that it is funny (and also frustrating for a
new user) that program offers default values 0-360 in "Heading range"
which are not accepted by program without any error notification - they
are just silently discarded. I am pretty sure that you will say that it
is a feature and not a bug but nevertheless I hope we could agree that
it is confusing.

>     There is also very good information on Page 24 about how to get
>     the latest FTDI drivers to make sure everything is working
>     properly.  You can also try manually changing the baud rate in the
>     Windows Device Manager:

I don't think the problem is with driver because other programs e.g.
N1MMRotor works.
Also, changing baud rate manually makes no sense because wtRotators
initializes port with new value at start or at parameter change.

> I wonder why both programmers made such limited possibility of setting
> communication parameters....
>
> If rotators operate at one and only one baud rate, there is no need to
> provide a way for the user to change it.

While this might be true with original product (although many operate at
some speed range e.g. Yaesu GS232B supports 1200-9600) it doesn't have
to be the same with look-alikes or new devices in emulation mode.
For example Yaesu GS232B page 7 (page 9 in PDF) states that you should
send couple of "Enter" codes so that microcontroller can autobaud
communication line. Furthermore, it states that it should be done in 15
seconds after turning device on. And look what wtRotators does :
0    0.04577649    wtRotators.exe    IRP_MJ_CREATE    VCP0 SUCCESS
1    0.00000447    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_TIMEOUTS VCP0
SUCCESS    RI:-1 RM:0 RC:0 WM:0 WC:5000
2    0.00000140    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_BAUD_RATE VCP0
SUCCESS
3    0.00000140    wtRotators.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_LINE_CONTROL
VCP0    SUCCESS
4    0.00000140    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_CHARS VCP0    SUCCESS
5    0.00000140    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_HANDFLOW VCP0
SUCCESS
6    0.00000112    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_BAUD_RATE VCP0
SUCCESS
7    0.00000112    wtRotators.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_LINE_CONTROL
VCP0    SUCCESS
8    0.00000112    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_CHARS VCP0    SUCCESS
9    0.00000112    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_HANDFLOW VCP0
SUCCESS
10    0.00286126    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_BAUD_RATE VCP0
SUCCESS    Rate: 4800
11    0.00302357    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_RTS VCP0    SUCCESS
12    0.00295457    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_DTR VCP0    SUCCESS
13    0.00297999    wtRotators.exe IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_LINE_CONTROL
VCP0    SUCCESS    StopBits: 1 Parity: NONE WordLength: 8
14    0.00000279    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_CHAR VCP0
SUCCESS    EOF:0 ERR:0 BRK:0 EVT:0 XON:11 XOFF:13
15    0.00314090    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_HANDFLOW VCP0
SUCCESS    Shake:1 Replace:40 XonLimit:2048 XoffLimit:512
16    0.00000559    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_QUEUE_SIZE
VCP0    SUCCESS    InSize: 10000 OutSize: 10000
17    0.00000615    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS
VCP0    SUCCESS
18    0.00000615    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS
VCP0    SUCCESS
19    0.00000559    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS
VCP0    SUCCESS
20    0.00000643    wtRotators.exe    IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_COMMSTATUS
VCP0    SUCCESS
21    0.00060706    wtRotators.exe    IRP_MJ_WRITE    VCP0 SUCCESS
Length 1: C
22    0.00097135    wtRotators.exe    IRP_MJ_WRITE    VCP0 SUCCESS
Length 1: .

No couple of CR (0x0D) were sent - it immediately starts to query device
with "C" command and again at 4800 baud.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find information (in Yaesu manual) what baud
rate is default in case there is no communication in those 15 seconds.

>  I can't believe that everyone else is having the same problems
> getting an AlphaSpid to work with Win-Test.  I don't recall seeing any
> complaints about that posted here.
Story of my life. I am very often only one with problem, only one
complaining, .... I don't want to say that I think I am perfect, far
from that, but I guess that at least once I should not be the one to
blame :-)

>  You should contact AlphaSpid because their documentation implies that
> it should work OK with most software.  I assume they tried it with
> Win-Test / wtRotators.

Maybe you have heard the expression "Assumption is mother of all

> If you still can't figure it out, please send me all relevant screen
> shots, including Windows Device Manager, wtRotators Setup screens,
> Win-Teset Setup, etc.

Thanks again Bob, but I was hoping that this is just a matter of editing
some .ini file or something like that. I don't feel comfortable to waste
your valuable time. I will try to find a solution by myself. If I
succeed I will get back to you with my findings.

Best regards,

Ivo, 9A3TY