[WT-support] Fw: Very bad CW transmission in WT 4.11 with WinKey

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Nov 13 23:23:18 CET 2013

Chris,

OK I finally read the enclosure from your email.  You should post it on the
web because it explains things very clearly.

You have to understand that Win-Test 4.10 and earlier had a bug in the
WinKey code.  The old Win-Test code was changing the WinKey "weight"
setting via <03> (Set weighting), which proportionally changes the length
of every dot and every dash, but that was a mistake.  The new version of
Win-Test (4.11) changes the dot/dash "ratio" setting via <17> (Set dit/dah
ratio), which was what it was supposed to be doing all along.

So, the old Win-Test code was doing it wrong.  It was adjusting the wrong
WinKey parameter ("weight").

The new Win-Test code is doing it right.  It is adjusting the correct
parameter ("ratio").

Even though Win-Test calls the menu "Weight", it should be called "Ratio"
to match the intended purpose.  In Win-Test, "weight" 3.2 means change the
WinKey dot/dash *ratio* to 1:3.2, so every dash is 3.2 times longer than a
dot.  3.0 means make dashes three times longer than a dot.  Use 3.0 from
now on.  Do not use 2.0 any more.  Do not use the old version of Win-Test
any more.

There now is *no way* to adjust the WinKey "weight" setting in Win-Test any
more.  You can only adjust the WinKey "ratio" setting.

Frankly, neither weight nor ratio are good enough to compensate for keying
issues found in most radios.  What works well at one speed may sound bad at
another speed.

For *both* the internal LPT/COM keyer and the WinKey, it would be *really
nice* if Win-Test could support adjustments of Keying Compensation (WinKey
command <11>"Set Key Comp"), and 1st element extension (<10> "Set 1st
Extension").  These are very valuable settings that increase the length of
every dot or dash, or only the first dot or dash, by a *fixed amount* that
does *not* vary with the keying speed.  That is the proper way to
compensate for radios that shorten the first element, or every element, by
a fixed amount, as most radios do, while maintaining a perfect 1:3 ratio
over the air at all contest speeds.

If you are using a standone WinKey USB device and an FT-1000MP Mark V
Field, you should set Comp to about 6 ms using the WinKey control program,
then exit and restart Win-Test, the go back and see if the setting is still
6 ms.  Leave weight at 3.0:1 (or "50/50" in the WinKey menu).

I suggest using 6 ms keying compenstation based on the keying waveform
plotted on Page 15 of this ARRL FT-1000MP Mark V Field Expanded Test
Report<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/protected/Group/Members/ProductReview/pdf/lab/mark-v-field.pdf>.
 This radio appears to shorten every dot and dash by about 6 ms, but that
was in QSK mode.  You may not need it in semi-breakin mode.  The Elecraft
K3 has the same issue in QSK mode.