[WT-support] Prolific Drivers and Devices

Stewart GM4AFF stewart at gm4aff.net
Wed Nov 13 09:50:09 CET 2013

I know they have a bad reputation, but I have used a Prolific USB to serial
device for about 5 years now with my laptop, and have never had a problem.
Yesterday I switched it on to prepare for GZ later this month and the
adapter does not work. In fact, the only thing working is the tx/rx PTT on
DTR. All CAT and CW (on RTS) are failing. I re-installed the drivers, and
still no joy. Obviously some other activity, like anti-virus or Windows
updates, have messed with the Prolific, which is not fixed by a re-install -
probably because the 'Repair' install does not replace any existing files,
even if they're broken.

So I have bought a KeySpan by Tripp Lite (which I think is over-priced). I
will report back!

73

Stewart

GM4AFF