[WT-support] SO2R Question

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Jul 28 13:55:50 CEST 2013

> Despite spending a long time working through the USB control protocol
> settings on the router and WT, I have never found the CW message
> sending on USB control to be "instant". There seem to be apparently
> random delays introduced, which simply do not occur with Classic
> control.

Since CW PTT is normally generated by the WinKey chip and/or in the
transceiver using semi break-in (transceiver VOX), any delays are
introduced by delays within the application software in sending the
CW message to WinKey.  Delays are typically due to out of order
execution, waiting for a response that has already occurred or missing
an echo from the WinKey itself.

Win-Test is the only major logger that does not use the WinKey 32 byte
(128 byte in WinKey 2/WinKey USB).  Instead it maintains a buffer in
the the program which causes intermittent delays depending on other
program activity (e.g., managing cluster connections) or operating
system activity (e.g. running anti-virus software or otter "hidden"
OS activity) - particularly if the application misses a "ready"
response or echo of the character sent.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV