[WT-support] MK2R+ Windows 8 and Win-test

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Jan 28 23:33:27 CET 2013

Many people have reported trouble getting the MK2R+ to reliably stay
connected to a K3 while running Win-Test.  Part of the problem may be that
Win-Test, unlike Writelog, polls the K3 as fast as it possibly can (that's
the default).  You can try changing the polling rate in Win-test from
"Auto" to 500 ms, but it may not cure the problem 100%.  You can also try
using OmniRig instead of the K3 support built-in to Win-Test.

Make sure the second COM port option (two COM ports talking to same radio)
is set to "None" in the microHAM Router dialog, for the K3 port.  There may
also be an option to set the radio type to "Elecraft K3 patched" instead of
"Elecraft K3" in the microHAM router.  That may also help.  Of course your
K3 should also be running the latest firmware, and you may need to upgrade
or replace your KIO3 board if it is a very old one.  You can isolate the
problem to the K3 or MK2R+ by temporarily bypassing the MK2R+ using a real
serial port connection to the radio, instead of a virtual one (don't use a
USB-to-Serial adapter for this test).

See this post<http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Serial-Port-on-K3-tp7329189p7329336.html>
by
IK2BCP which claims that the KIO3 board can fail to operate properly when
the power supply voltage drops below 13VDC.

Certainly if your IC-7800 (Radio 1) is powered down, you should set Radio 1
to "None" in Win-Test.

FYI, both copies of your email were flagged as Spam for some unknown reason.