[WT-support] Win-Test 4.10.0 on Windows 8

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jan 20 04:07:47 CET 2013

Many PC sound cards that work fine on XP do not work well on Windows Vista,
Win7, and Win8 as a Win-Test voice keyer (DVK).   Only a few sound cards
have the ability to monitor your mic. audio in real time (without any
delays), on these newer versions of Windows.  The delay is caused by
digitization of audio input.

If you never operate phone or use the DVK, I suppose things will work OK,
but so far I haven't seen any reports of people successfully using Win-Test
on Windows 8, so you may be one of the first to try it.  What are the
"improved audio capabilities on digital modes?"

For a pure "contesting computer," I recommend that people stick with
Windows XP as long as they can.  If you must use a newer operating system,
be sure to sign in with an Admistrator ID whenever you install or run
Win-Test.  Otherwise some Win-Test files get stored in very strange
"virtual stores" making things much more difficult than they ought to be.