[WT-support] Local skimmer to Win-test?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Dec 31 22:22:01 CET 2013

This is partially covered in the FAQ page,
here<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/FAQ:DX_Cluster_and_wtDxTelnet#Can_I_connect_to_more_than_one_cluster_or_to_both_CW_Skimmer_and_a_cluster.3F>
.

Now, in wtDxTelnet, if you select *Options | DxCluster Properties* and
check *CW Skimmer* and *Send Frequency for *(Radio 1 / Radio 2) and enter
the station name of the computer connected to the transceiver, and do this
*only* for wtDxTelnet connection to local skimmer, the CW Skimmer green
cursor will follow the cursor of the selected radio, turning it into a
(somewhat limited range) band scope that tracks the selected radio's VFO A.
 Furthermore, messages generated by clicking on the CW Skimmer window will
be filtered out, and will not appear in the Alt+O window.  I think this
only works when you select radio control via OmniRig instead of native
support, but I can't remember; you need to experiment with it to see how it
works.

Unfortunately, "Click to Tune" was never implemented by Win-Test.  That is,
one would like to be able to click on a signal line or callsign "tuning
dot" in the CW Skimmer waterfall display, and Win-Test would then
automatically parse the "Clicked on 14.025" message that CW Skimmer
generates as a telnet message.  It would then QSY your transceiver to that
exact QRG.

As implemented today, the CW skimmer tracking features is not especially
useful; it's easier just to use the band map.  However, the small CW
Skimmer waterfall "scope" *can* be used to identify nearby stations that
have key clicks or are causing QRM, or locate where stations operating
split are listening (view QSX frequency).

I don't believe there is any special color coding for local Skimmer spots
vs. RBN spots.  However, be sure to right click on the band map and select
Display Options -> Time and Spotter.  Then when you click on a spot in the
band map, the spotter's callsign and other comments are displayed at the
bottom of the band map window.  A new feature of version 4.12.0-dev is that
this now also works in the *List* view (tab at bottom of band map).