[WT-support] Reminder / Heads up - Band vs Frequency discrepancy

K0DQ k0dq at analog.org
Mon Oct 29 13:54:41 CET 2012

Reminder / Heads up for CQWW Log Preparers

This was apparently noted several years ago, but new users may not be aware.

In several recent contests I've experienced a small but significant problem.
Several contacts have shown one  band on the Win-Test logging window (and
reflected accordingly in the Summary window) but have a different frequency
on another band associated with the contact.  (E.g. N6TV worked on 20 meters
but when hit Alt-F it shows 21040.)  The problem is, the Cabrillo file shows
the frequency, not the band.

The best way I know to check this is to generate the Cabrillo log and then
import the same log back into Win-Test.  Then compare the summary
windows/reports and make sure the QSO and Multiplier counts are the same on
each band.  If not, put your Sherlock Holmes cap on and go looking.  I use
the hourly breakdown to narrow the discrepancies  Another option may be to
create a CSV log and include both frequency and band.

This seems to occur in two circumstances.
- Most of the problems occur with second radio contacts using SO2R, all
logged in the secondary radio window
- It also occurred in WPX when the computer crashed and I had to replace it
with the (networked) backup computer during the contest, 30 some contacts
were off until I noted the problem.

My sense is that this is an intermittent C.A.T. issue.  I've been using ICOM
transceivers and understand the CI-V may occasionally miss a few bits.  But
it may occur with other radios.

The numbers are typically small but in several recent contests, one or two
mults have been the margin of victory / new record.

CU in CQWW CW

Scott, K0DQ