[WT-support] Disappearing Multipliers

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Nov 28 06:41:10 CET 2012

First, as OH6XX mentioned, make sure the spots bandwidth in the Bandmap
Properties is set to the minimum value (100 Hz).

One issue that can happen if you display all skimmers from all over the
world with no filtering by location is that two guys can be CQing on the
same frequency at the same time, totally unaware of each other.  The ZL2HAM
skimmer may spot a local DX station on 21026.2 at the same time that the
W3LPL skimmer spots a completely different DX station on 21026.2.  It's
"last one wins" as far as the band map goes.

In other cases it's a busted skimmer spot like EW3LPL that quickly gets
spotted correctly as W3LPL by other skimmers.  If you're using the "List"
view, and select the "Hide dupes and invalids" option, or "Multipliers
only," the spot will disappear from the list view when it is corrected.

I'm not sure how Win-Test defines "Invalid" -- maybe it uses the callsign
pattern checking algorithm?

Another issue is that sometimes Skimmer gets fooled and incorrectly spots a
DX station's callsign if he sends it twice, even if he is just doing S&P.

Having said all that, I'm working on new LUA script that will read the
bottom of the .dxc file that is saved when Incoming Spots Logging is
enabled, and display the contents in a pop-up window.  But I'm not really
sure if that script will help or not, or if enabling spot logging is really
a good idea.

Let me know if you'd like to beta test it.