[WT-support] Win-Test and contest numbers

Mark Bailey kd4d at comcast.net
Tue May 29 04:04:34 CEST 2012

On 5/28/2012 8:02 PM, Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Rick Dougherty NQ4I
> <nq4i at contesting.com <mailto:nq4i at contesting.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All...used WT in WPX CW and it worked really good...it does
>     however have a major issue...when it comes to numbers sent and
>     numbers in the que it does not do the job.
>      In a Multi Multi when both stations are very active..its the toss
>     of the dice to see who gets what number...the RUN station send a
>     number only to find out that the MULT station has already given
>     the number to another..and it will send the WRONG number to the
>     RUN stations qso...[...].it is time to
>     step up to the plate and fix the problem.....some sore of fix is
>     needed...I am hoping that by the time we do WPX next year that
>     this is not an issue...
>     Thank You
>     de Rick NQ4I
>

> I think the easiest way to work around this problem in Win-Test is to
> simply provide a better method than the cumbersome "Edit | Edit sent
> serial no." dialog, so that you can quickly change the QSO no. logged
> to the QSO no. that was actually sent, whenever a timing glitch causes
> them not to match.

> [...]
>
> If you could just edit the SENT serial no. column as easily as you can
> edit the RST SENT column, this problem wouldn't be very cumbersome to
> deal with. [ ...]
> 73,
> Bob, N6TV

Hi Bob:

I strongly disagree.  We are doing interleaving of QSOs at very high
rates with hardware interlocks.  The sequence of working a QSO by the
run (or S&P) station needs to be exactly the same whether there is an
interleaved QSO or not.  If it's done smoothly, the run operator may not
even really be aware that there was an interleaved QSO!

Your proposed solution interferes with the rhythm of the run operator.
And, I still think that tired operators won't do this well at 5:00AM!

Also, any solution needs to use a minimum number of keystrokes, say
"enter" "enter".

I have reluctantly quit using Wintest because of this issue.  If you
recall, I raised it last year after WPX SSB and suggested the
possibility of just freezing the GUI to make sure that the number that
was sent is what was logged.

73,

Mark, KD4D