[WT-support] Lost data

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue May 29 01:37:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 6:35 AM, <marcelo at alternex.com.br> wrote:

> In the first morning of the WPX Contest this weekend I started having some
> trouble with my computer, and received a message that the resources were
> low. I decided to restart the machine, closed all other programs and when I
> exited win-test I got some message of a failed save operation due to low
> system resources.
>
> After rebooting, when I loaded win-test my log file was empty. The file
> was trhere but it had no qsos. I had to quit the contest.
>
> Is there any chance to recover the log? Is there any other copy of the
> file on the machine?

Marcelo,

Sorry to hear that this happened.  Did the hard disk get full?

It is likely that the log file is there on the disk, just saved in a
different directory or with a different name.  The easiest way to find it
is to open a Windows Command Prompt (Start | Run | Cmd.exe), then enter the
following two commands exactly as shown:

   1. cd \
   2. dir *wpx*.wt4 /a /s /p /od

This lists *all* WT4 files containing "WPX" in the name, even in hidden
directories, and it searches all sub-directories, pausing after a full
screen, and ordering the list by date (within a directory), newest at the
bottom.  Look for .WT4 files with 2012 in the timestamp.