[WT-support] [microHAM] CW keying from function keys

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue May 29 01:21:41 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists at subich.com> wrote:

>  The other problem I cited in my earlier posting was the occasional
>> failure CW keying from the function keys. The Device Router stays
>> Green, but keying quits. Rebooting WinTest causes the keying to
>> resume.
>>

> It is impossible to determine a failure mode for the loss of the
> function keys until you resolve your sleep issue since all data to
> the Winkey device must pass through the USB channel.  However, if
> restarting Win-Test resolves the issue I would suspect the solution
> will lie in Win-Test.

Chances are all you had to do was type SETUP [Enter] [Enter] in Win-Test,
which re-initalizes all serial port connections, as this is much less
disruptive than exiting and restarting the program.

However, I have seen similar Winkey reliability issues in the past, so I no
longer use it.  I much prefer to use COM port or LPT port on/off keying
with Win-Test, plus the internal keyer of the radio.  Win-Test sends very
fine CW this way; external Winkey hardware is really not required.  Yes you
lose paddle interrupt of computer messages, but you get used to just
hitting the Escape key when you need to do that.