[WT-support] Minimum WinKey CW speed

Robert Chipperfield robert at syxis.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 23:35:50 CET 2012

Hi Bob,

Sorry, hadn't spotted your reply when I made my previous post.
> What are you using?  I may be able to do the same keyer sync scripts with
> some radios.  Even if I can't, try using ON/OFF keying via Serial Port or
> COM port PIN and inexpensive legacy keying circuit as documented in the
> Wiki; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it works.
It's an IC-7000.

Something I didn't see how I can do - though I could be missing it - is
to connect what is effectively a "straight key" from the COM port
keying, and an iambic paddle at the same time?

I did some brief experiments to try and do this on the basis I could
then have run the WK at 20wpm and used the rig's internal keyer at 15wpm
for sending slower when required, but couldn't see an easy solution.

I suppose you could use the WinKey in standalone mode as a keyer for the
paddle, and then parallel the output of that with the COM port keyer.
You'd not get the niceties like stopping computer-generated output when
you touched the paddle, but that may not be too much of an issue.

73,
Rob, M0VFC