[WT-support] Elecraft K2 erratic QRG dispoay

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Jan 3 23:44:49 CET 2012

Lup S. DJ7SW wrote:
> The secretis the way Microsoft has implemented the USB Port. If you
> ever put something into an USB Port, Windows will recognize it for
> ever. Was the first user a FTDI chip all the silly USB port does, is
> to use this ftdi driver for ever. Try to find out the history of
> your USB Ports. A way to check this an the history is the utility
> program " USBDeview" by http://www.nirsoft.net   It shows you the
> history for every port and lets you wipe out all oldies. You will
> be astonished, what long forgotten hardware you had in use. Clean
> the complete history and then install the prolific driver.

This is quite excellent advice, and the tool is very good.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Indeed Windows stores a lot of information about devices it has seen,
and this information can and will influence later device attached to
the system. (I disagree that Windows will choose the wrong driver,
but yes it does complicated things which can go wrong in other ways.)

//Peter