[WT-support] two noobie questions, RS232 PTT & packet window

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Aug 30 23:27:43 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Matthias Jelen <Matthias.Jelen at gmx.de>wrote:

> I see RS232 PTT is missing from Wintest?  My old logging software used
> that, and I would like to have it.  I suppose I can live without it, but it
> seems to me to be an unneccessary interface to build and another thing to
> fail when it can be done by software. Is there any plan to add that?
>

> It is there, but a bit hidden:
>
> Enter setup and choose "Other Interface" for the COM port you want to use.
> Then press configure. Here you can assign DTR and RTS to CW and PTT.

This solution only works with the Elecraft K3, the only rig that supports
PTT via a hardware pin on the RS-232 port, unless you build an RS232
interface circuit (like a keying circuit) between the computer port and the
radio's PTT jack.  I believe Brian was requesting a pure software command
(CAT command) solution, not a hardware solution.

Some radios support CAT commands to generate PTT, but these are really to
slow.  Win-Test does not support them directly.  It is possible to issue
CAT commands to enable PTT from a LUA script, and call the PTT scripts
before and after every message.  I have done it for EW2A for the FT-5000,
and he reported success.

What rig do you have Brian?