[WT-support] WinTest for a blind operator

John Warburton G4IRN qrz at dxdx.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 17:41:22 CEST 2011

Hi Olof

I have some experience with this, however not directly with Win-Test.
Over the past couple of years I've worked closely with the Assitive
Technology Manager at a large public-sector media organisation where all
IT systems must be accessible by anyone, irrespectivie of their
disability. This is actually a legal requirement for any company in the
UK under the Disability Discrimination Act (1995) and there is something
similar in the States under section 508 of the Rehabilitation act.

The organisation I work for use two products for partially or fully
blind users: ZoomText and Jaws.

I believe that ZoomText is for partially sighted users and is
effectively a screen magnifier.

Jaws is a screen reader for fully blind users and is available as a demo
version from the vendor's website: http://www.freedomscientific.com/

I'm not sure how well it will work with WT as applications generally
need to be written with accessibility in mind. Most applications aimed
at the commercial market would normally come up to spec they have the
legal obligations to their staff as under the acts listed above.

Happy to continue the discussion further off reflector.

73 John G4IRN.