[WT-support] Win-Test main logging window missing

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Mar 21 19:48:50 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Joe <wl7e at arrl.net> wrote:

> I lost my Main Logging Window in version 4.4.0; uninstalled and
> reinstalled, no fix. Then I downloaded version 4.7.0 and went through the
> install process with the correct registration codes. Still no fix. Has
> anyone had this happen to them before?

Joe,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  Tonno's suggestion is good, but I
don't know how to get to the Win-Test Options if you can't see the main
logging window.  The window is probably is there somewhere, but moved off to
an extreme edge of your monitor, so you can't see anything more than a thin
blue line.  If you use your computer monitor controls to shrink the height
and width, you might be able to spot it.  You could also temporarily
increase your Windows screen resolution to the maximum value, and then the
logging window might become visible.

Another trick is to simply open up a command prompt window, change to your
Win-Test directory, and force Win-Test to create a new log, e.g.:

   1. Start | Run | CMD.EXE
   2. cd "C:\Program Filies\Win-Test"
   3. wt newname

That will create a new log using the default Windows layout.  Then do File |
Open and select the file you really want to use.  When you exit, the window
positions should all be reset.

Another option is to edit your WT.INI file with a text editor, and simply
change Popup=1 to Popup=0, then save the file and restart Win-Test.  That
should force Win-Test to come up in "non-floating" mode and the main logging
window should be visible.

Note that the WT.INI file is in a hidden folder:

Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Win-Test\cfg

Windows Vista/Windows 7:
C:\ProgramData\Win-Test\cfg

Step-by-step instructions for making these folders visible may be
found here<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Check_Partial_and_Np1_Files#Location>in
the Wiki.

Please let us know what works.