[WT-support] SO1R but with 2 Radios

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Mar 11 22:02:03 CET 2011

The band data output provided on the LPT port cannot be automatically
switched to track the active radio.  As you noted, it can only be set to
Radio 1 or Radio 2 in the LPT port configuration screen.

Most people find it more reliable to switch antennas by using the band data
ports on a radio, if available, rather than band data output provided by a
computer port.  That way you can still operate when the computer is off, and
the correct antennas is selected automatically.  This is done via a band
decoder box (radio band data port -> band decoder box -> 12V relay antenna
switch and bandpass filters).

Another common approach is to acquire a 6-port / 2-radio switch, such as the
Array Solutions SixPak
<http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/sixpak.htm>or the microHAM
micro Double Six
Switch<http://www.microham-usa.com/Products/Antenna_Switches/double%20six%20switch.html>.
These boxes accept band data from two radios (via two intervening band
decoders).  It's an expensive solution, but very reliable, and they allow
any radio to operate on any band.  No software or computer is required.

The microHAM MK2R/u2R and the YCCC SO2R box have accessory port pins that
can be activated based on the current band selected by Win-Test.  Type
MKSETUP [Enter] and OTRSPSETUP [Enter] in the Win-Test logging window to see
the large matrix used to configure these output pins.

Another approach is to dedicate each radio to separate bands, and use two
coax switches, one per radio.  If only one of your radios has a band data
port, connect that radio the automatic switch, and use a manual switch (or
one driven by the Win-Test LPT port) on the other.