[WT-support] R: R: WinKey for PTT in SSB ?

HB9CAT hb9cat at thezollingers.org
Sat Jul 23 11:23:32 CEST 2011

Bob,

FYI, at K3LR there are no Winkeys or external DVKs or CW keyers.  Real COM
ports or parallel ports are used for all software-generated CW and PTT
functions, and PC sound cards for voice keying.  Internal radio keyers are
used for sending with the paddles.  This is a simple, extremely reliable
solution that works very well.  Unlike N1MM Software, Win-Test rarely has
problems sending well-timed CW via real serial or parallel ports, so you
really don't need a Winkey at all.

I'm in fact looking for a reliable solution for portable VHF contest
operations; but I read some recommendations discouraging from keying CW
directly through the LPT/COM port, appearently CW wouldn't be clean because
of CPU/IRQ/whatever. According to your experience this doesn't seem to be an
issue.

My past experience with that (K1EA / N1MM) has always been positive, so I'll
probably follow your advice, skip the Winkey and steer PTT & CW with the
LPT.

73

Marco HB9CAT