[WT-support] Windows 7 and serial to USB adapter solution to problems

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Jul 19 20:55:40 CEST 2011

Upon further research, it appears these drivers are only appropriate for
USB-to-Serial adapters based on the Prolific chipset,* not* FTDI.

The official web site for these drivers is:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31

and PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1417.zip appears to contain:

- Windows 2000/XP/Server2003 (32 & 64-bit) WDM WHQL Driver: v2.0.16.166
- Windows Vista/7/Server2008 (32 & 64-bit) WDF WHQL Driver: v3.3.17.203

It would be nice to know if these drivers work as well.

The link below seems to point to an older version (3.2.0.0 ?)  It also seems
the vendor, www.valley-ent.com, no longer sells anything with a Prolific
chipset, only FTDI, so the link may eventually disappear.