[WT-support] Win-Test problems caused by "Avast"

Ron Fraser rongm0ntl at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 16 20:26:33 CEST 2011

Hi guys,

I have been having problems with the config contest drop-down menus in
win-Test 3 since installing "AVAST" ver 6 free antivirus software.

I have spent a lot of time trying to suss this out, with a lot of input from
Bob N6TV, but to no avail. However, Bob suggested a work around which
involved highlighting the entry and then inputting the apppropriate letter
from the keyboard. As an example, for Iota contest, I highlighted the
contest list and kept hitting the "i" key until the Iota name appeared. I
had to use the same system for all the other menu lists.

Today, I had the brainwave to disable Avast and see what happened. The issue
was immediately resolved and I now had the drop-down menus working. So, once
the relevant contest had been configured, I could  run Win-Test then restart
Avast.  My trials have not yet shown any other problems once WT is running
but I imagine there could well be further problems with other menus. One
other strange thing was that I had W-T on a usb stick which ran normally and
was not affected by Avast.

I should mention that previously I had been using AVG for years but after a
recent update, up popped a warning  stating that it had found a "virus"
within Win-Test. What was happening was that it had determined that wt.exe
was a virus with the end result that W-T would not run. It was called
win32/heur which has many mentions on the web but is not included in any
virus databases.  I can only assume that this is one of these false
"viruses.  I noticed recently that there had been a support post about
win32/heur but there was no feedback.  I should add that Avast seems to work
well apart from the hiccup with Win-Test but I will report this anomaly to
their support people.

Hope this might save someone else from spending fruitless hours looking for
an answer in a similar situation.

73, Ron GM0NTL - GM4W (contest call)