[WT-support] TS-590 COM settings

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jul 6 22:42:23 CEST 2011

I didn't realize that there are at least THREE different ways to connect a
TS-590 to your computer.  Harry did not explain which method he is using.

   1. Simple USB cable from PC USB port to TS-590 USB port.  This requires
   installation and configuration via the Silicon Labs Virtual COM port
   driver<http://www.silabs.com/pages/DownloadDoc.aspx?FILEURL=Support%20Documents/Software/CP210x_VCP_Win_XP_S2K3_Vista_7.exe>
   .
   -or-
   2. Simple straight through double-female serial cable from a real serial
   port on the PC to the RS-232 connector on Radio
   -or-
   3. Same as 2., but using a USB-to-Serial adapter or microHAM box at the
   PC instead of a real serial port

According to the TS-590 Owner's
Manual<http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Communications/AMA/Manuals/TS-590.pdf>,
page 57, for 4800 baud using methods 2 or 3, you should use two stop bits
(4800,N,8,2), but for other baud rates only one stop bit.  That's very
strange.

Menu No. 61 controls the Serial Port baud rate
Menu No. 62 controls the USB Port emulated baud rate

More TS-590 documentation and downloads are at

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-590S