[WT-support] How to use LPT keying and Classic Auto Control for SO2R with MK2R/MK2R+

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jul 3 07:08:31 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Yuri VE3XB <ve3xb at rogers.com> wrote:

> Thanks again for your advices but some are not easy to follow - like
> avoiding +++ and - - - when everybody else is using them.

I repeat, speeding up and slowing down CW with messages messages should be *
avoided* if you want to be spotted quickly by CW Skimmers and the Reverse
Beacon Network.  According to reports analyzed after WRTC-2010, those
stations that changed speed in every message were spotted by the RBN far
less frequently than WRTC stations that used a steady CW speed for all
messages.

It is not clear that the time saved by speeding up and slowing down
constantly will actually help your score, since being spotted is usually
more helpful to your rate (unless you are generating huge pileups that are
difficult to control).

Also when using LPT port as a keying interface how to key two different
> radios while in SO2R mode? MK2R manual specifies only pin 16 as a keying
> line.

On the Ports tab in the microHAM Router program, select all of the
following:

x Use LPT for CW
x Use LPT for PTT

On the SO2R tab, use "Classic Auto Control" via LPT pins rather than the
microHAM control protocol.  In theory, both methods work, but Classic Auto
Control is just faster and more reliable, and it never has a delay problem .
 Simply un-check the "microHAM MK2R/MK2R+" Control Port in the Win-Test
Interfaces Configuration dialog to keep Win-Test from using the mciroHAM
control protocol.  Be sure to check LPT.

Then on the microHAM Router SO2R tab, use the same pins for TX Focus, RX
Focus and Stereo that you select in the Win-Test LPT Configuration
screen<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Options#Printer_Ports>,
e.g.

TX Focus:  LPT pin 14
  >> Check the "Invert" box for this pin only
RX Focus:  LPT pin 4
Stereo Headphones:  LPT pin 9
LPT control of DVK:  none

All of the above require an LPT port on the PC, and a straight through DB-25
LPT cable between the PC and the MK2R+.  If you don't have an LPT port, you
can use MK2R virtual serial port DTR and RTS pins for all of these functions
instead.  But virtual serial port CW keying may not be as good as LPT port
CW keying.