[WT-support] Questions about MK2R+ and Win-Test setup

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Sep 5 03:44:09 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Tõnno Vähk <Tonno.Vahk at gafm.ee> wrote:

> 1. SO2R tab and Mode selection. First, I have naturally selected "microHam
> control protocol on COM port". Now - is "Use simple auto mode" the right
> choice??

Not usually, especially if you want to keep one ear on each radio at all
times (or most of the time).

> without selecting this (leaving "none") the audio switching does not work
> from WT.

This works OK for me via AltGr-A, AltGr-T AltGr-S (or on U.S. Keyboard
Ctrl-Alt-A, Ctrl-Alt-T, Ctrl-Alt-S) and the Advanced SO2R scenarios.  But I
had to try SETUP [Enter] a few times before it worked reliably (at first
there was a noticeable delay).  If the microHAM control protocol is
unreliable for you, as it is for me, I would recommend unchecking the
microHAM control port and using only use virtual COM port pins (program COM
port as "Other device" and set DTR and RTS for audio switching) or use LPT
pins, and use only the Win-Test "internal" sound card DVK (with device *USB
Audio Codec*) instead of the MK2R "external" DVK.

But before you abandon the microHAM control protocol, in the Win-Test
Interface Configuration, did you uncheck the LPT check box to prevent other
headphone switching methods?  Make sure all COM ports in Win-Test do not
specify audio switching via DTR/RTS as well.

In the microHAM Router program, on the SO2R tab

   - Select microHAM Control Protocol on COM port (this is the
*Control*port and the one that must be set to MK2R/MK2R+)
   - Make sure to check the *SO2R mode* check box at the bottom
   - Set every Mode A, B, and C to *None*

On the functions tab

   - Check both *Auto* Boxes
   - Next select *Store*, then select *Apply*.  That's the *only* way to
   actually *activate* your choices in the box.  *Apply* alone usually does
   nothing.  The lights on the MK2R will then match what you see on this
   screen.
   - Mode A should not be checked
   - *Latch *should usually *not* be checked as that usually forces both
   headphones to the other radio whenever you transmit.

One you get this working, in the Router, select Device | *Store as Power up
Settings*.

Back in Win-Test, in the Advanced SO2R scenarios (Operating | Modify the
scenarios), did you specify *$RESET* in the F1 message (or any other
messages) to override any manual changes made before attempting to do $R1R2
etc.?  If you press AltGr-A, -S, or -T to manually switch the headphones,
the $R1R2 type commands will then be *ignored* until you run a $RESET to
return to "automatic Win-Test control" of audio.  So for example if you
program $F2 as:

$R2R2 $F2 $R1R1

it won't seem work at all if you have pressed AltGr-A, -S, or -T in the mean
time.  It needs to be:

$RESET $R2R2 $F2 $R1R1

2. When "simple auto mode" is used MK2R+ follows WT scenarios BUT overrides
> them by always switching two ears to RX radio when the other radio is TXing.

This sounds like *Latch *was checked (or maybe it was unchecked, but never *
Stored* and *Applied*, so it never got deactivated).  Using $LATCH in a
scenario will also cause this to happen, as well as "Simple Auto mode" I
believe.

I don't like this because I am not able to create a scenario in WT where one
> or two ears would stay on TX radio. Is this a bug/problem in the control
> protocol/WT?

No, it's a configuration problem.  If you still can't figure it out, send me
all your setup screen shots, including Win-Test Setup, Win-Test Advanced
scenario setup, and microHAM Router tabs.

3. What is the TLL signal on ACC port for Inhibit In. I want to use inhibit.
> What signal do I have to generate - ground or some voltage or what??

That's a good question for the microHAM support.  However, using the inhibit
line in the MK2R involves PTT delays that may not work as well as you wish
them to, especially on CW.  If you want to use it to prevent amplifier hot
switching, it seems like there must be easier ways to do that via PTT lines
direct from radio to amp, with PTT lead time set in the radio.  If you want
to use it for a lockout circuit, that's something else.  In either case it
seems like it would be best to bypass the MK2R+ for inhibit lines.

> 4. Currently I can send my own commands to MK2R+ only from scenarios. I
> would like to use DVK messages 8 and 9 with command $MK2R=MP8. Is it
> possible to let the Other messages (ALT-C) to transmit those commands.

Alt-C messages are ignored on SSB, so that will not work.  $MK2R only seems
to work within scenarios.

Perhaps Win-Test could provide a new LUA API such as

wtMK:Send(*string)*  -- send command string to microHAM control port

In the mean time, I've created two LUA
scripts<http://www.kkn.net/%7En6tv/PlayDVK8and9.zip>called PlayDVK8
and PlayDVK9 that will allow you to access these last two
DVK messages.   Copy the two .wts files to your /Scripts directory (File |
Explore | /scripts directory)

You will have to "borrow" the F6 and F7 messages from the advanced scenario,
secondary radio column to do this, and they will have to be programmed in a
special way, as you already figured out.

   1. Operating | Modify the Scenarios ...
   2. Program the *Secondary* radio (second column)
   F6: $TR2 $MK2R=MP8
   F7: $TR2 $MK2R=MP9
   3. Tools | Scripts manager
   Assign PlayDVK8 to F8
   Assign PlayDVK9 to F9
   (Highlight the script, Press the Properties button, then Define, then F8
   or F9, then OK)
   4. Operating | Technique Advanced SO2R (must be checked)
   5. Operating | Caps Lock Binds to the secondary radio (must be checked)

The PlayDVK8 and 9 scripts briefly set focus to the secondary radio window
(they press CapsLock for you), play the secondary radio scenario F6 or F7 on
the *primary* radio (that's what $TR2 does), then they immediately restore
focus to the primary radio window.

Of course now you have to be careful to avoid pressing F6 or F7 whenever you
manually set focus to the secondary radio window.

Using ByeByeCT I could generate 2 more SSB messages. WT guys, is this
> doable? Or any other place I could put this command other than scenarios
> F1-F7 and send to MK2R+?

I suggest disabling ByeByeCT and assigning F8 and F9 to the two new LUA
scripts, as suggested above.

The scripts also accept an optional argument like "F1" (in quotes) or 1
(without quotes) to indicate that you want the MK2R command string
programmed to secondary radio scenario F1 to run instead of the one
programmed to F6, which is the default for the PlayDVK8 script.