[WT-support] WT through VPN

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Oct 14 06:46:48 CEST 2010

Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:
> I imagine you would have to configure the same broadcast address
> and port number in both copies of Win-Test, as usual, and that
> broadcast address has to be compatible with the VPN address that
> you set up (e.g. broadcast address *x*.*y*.*z*.255 on both computers).

Very important point! Since broadcast is being used, traffic can only
pass switches and not routers. Make sure that the two machines are on
the same ethernet network segment, and if you really do need a VPN
solution then make sure it can pass broadcast traffic.

Some VPN solutions are only layer 3, meaning that the VPN client
and/or server acts just like a router, and can not pass broadcast
traffic across the link.

//Peter