[WT-support] wtRotators network protocol?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Oct 7 19:39:15 CEST 2010

Peter,

First, having a rotator control box that plugs directly into a LAN as an
Ethernet appliance sounds like a great idea; this would greatly simplify
station integration *if* there were a standard protocol, such as the
Win-Test UDP protocol, that all manufacturers could implement.

As you may have already discovered, the UDP protocol used by Win-Test is
documented here:

http://download.win-test.com/utils/SummaryBroadcastingSpecs.txt

Unfortunately, that document is over 2 years old, and it describes protocol
version 1.2 (current version is 1.25).  It does *not* describe the
relatively new rotator frames, which were added in Summer of 2009, about a
year after that document was published.

I think the current protocol document is available to software authors upon
request.  It would be nice if it were published as an open standard that all
rotator manufacturers could adopt.

In the mean time, adopting an existing published RS-232 command set would be
your best bet, even if you don't have any serial ports on your computer.

You could use an Ethernet-to-RS232 device like this one to send commands to
your controller over Ethernet:

http://www.hw-group.com/products/converter/index_en.html

If anyone on this list ever tried using something like this Portbox
Ethernet-to-RS232 box, please describe the results.  Note that this is
ETHERNET, not USB.