[WT-support] Issues from ES9C

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Nov 30 23:23:59 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Tõnno Vähk <Tonno.Vahk at gafm.ee> wrote:

> 2. Confirm speed jump issues with MK2R+/MKII and WT with Winkey keying. We
> use +++/--- stuff a lot and also separate speeds for WT and paddle. So
> asking for trouble as I understand. Also, I guess, when message is aborted
> after ++++ has been run but ---- not yet the speed might stay high? I did
> not actually test it again now.

Could using the paddle to halt CW cause this problem if it happens at just
the right moment, between the "++" and the "--" perhaps?

> 3. A serious issue with $CORRECT. It seems that when the callsign field is
> empty at the time when e.g. a message of $CORRECT TU ES9C is run the
> $CORRECT send some totally wrong old callsign.

I have seen this issue with WT 3, but I have not been seeing it in the newer
versions of WT 4.  It certainly behaves as if a memory overwrite somewhere
in Win-Test is writing random characters to the $CORRECT message buffer at
unpredictable times, perhaps if callsigns are being rapidly entered and
corrected by other computers in the network.  As a single op with one
computer, I thought it was fixed.

Maybe a code change could clear this buffer every time the call is
unchanged, even the code thinks thinks that the $CORRECT buffer should
already be clear.

> Sometimes a call worked tens of QSOs ago.

Yes, or part of one.  It is really hard to reproduce, which is why I think
it is a random memory overwrite.  It may also have something to do with
network activity, really not sure.

4. I tried the Download Files through the Network command for the first time
> after the contest to pull all the logs to one computer. It does not work.
> Did not matter which networked PC I tried the message came up: "transfer
> canceled. Reason: Unzip: can't open file 'C\Doc.\Temp\WT_EA.tmp'". What is
> wrong?

Does the file actually exist?  Is there anything new in that directory?  Is
the full name of the file:

C:\Documents and Settings\*userid*\Local Settings\Temp\WT_EA.tmp

or does it display as C:\Doc.\Temp\WT_EA.tmp" in the message?  Can you send
a screen shot?

Do you have a program or batch file called Unzip on your PC that you can run
from the command line?

 5. I had 6 computers in network and the scores were different on all of
> them by the end!! That is real strange. WT has been usually very good on
> this and we don't delete QSOs.

Were the QSO counts off, or perhaps did some computers use CTY_WT.DAT and
others CTY_WT_MOD.DAT, or maybe different versions of these files?  This is
the first report I have seen.  It is extremely rare for Win-Test to have
missing QSOs accross the network, even if a computer is temporarily down or
rebooted.  What are the QSO totals on each computer, including dupes?

What version of Win-Test was running on all computers, 4.6 ?

> 7. Another very small but strange issue: We had INSERT message programmed
> as: ++ $LOGGEDCALL--^^$SPACEBAR $GUESSEXCH $F2. In order to get the speed
> change for LOGGEDCALL to work a SPACE had to be entered before it!!
> Otherwise the ++ and -- had no effect. This is really akward. It took a
> while for us to figure this out. This is not the case with other messages
> and for example ++$CORRECT-- syntax.

I can't replicate this problem using LPT keying.  Have not tried it with a
Winkey.  Maybe there was something in the $F1 message or PLUS message or $F2
message?  Did your F1 message end with ++TEST-- or a script call like
#CLEARRIT?

I assume you were not using the secondary radio window at all.

8. Another small issue. $GRABPARTNER does not trigger AUTOSEND but ALT-SPACE
> does. One pulls the callsign from the first line in the Stack in the Partner
> window, the other from the real time field in the Partner window. Can you
> make them the same so that inserting call with ALT-SPACE would also not
> trigger AUTOSEND? Because when it does then it is not possible to create a
> Tail End script/message which would allow toggling AUTOSEND ON/OFF during
> the contest like it is possible with GRABPARTNER.

I agree that calls grabbed from the real time partner window with Alt-Space,
or the activation of $SPACEBAR, should not trigger autosending.