[WT-support] FTDX5000

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Nov 25 01:36:52 CET 2010

F5VHJ's Win-Test startup failure was caused by having Radio1=6000 (OmniRig)
in his WT.INI file after OmniRig was uninstalled.

Reinstalled OmniRig by using "Run as Administrator" and "Run in XP
Compatibility mode" on the installation program, and it installs and runs
smoothly.  Win-Test then worked fine.

But neither OmniRig nor Win-Test would communicate properly with the
FTDX-5000, no matter what settings we tried.

I think the problem is that Al is using an "Airlink 101" model AC-USBS
USB-to-Serial adapter under Windows 7 64-bit.  This is one of those
notorious "Prolific" chipset devices.  The latest documentation for driver
from the Airlink says that it supports:

Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, Vista 32/64-bit, Windows 7, Mac 10.x

It's interesting that it doesn't say "Windows 7 32/64-bit".

Attempts to install the driver via "Update driver" and "Have disk" failed
("This driver is not compatible ...")

http://www.airlink101.com/support/index.php?cmd=files&_a=download&id=432

Perhaps I should have run the SETUP program instead, but it was getting late
in Europe.

The COM port shows up OK when you plug in the device, and it can be changed
from COM3, to COM6 no problem, and Win-Test and Windows Device Manager see
COM6, but the CAT light on the radio never worked.  We did go into the
FTDX-5000 and experiment with all the CAT settings, but had no success at
all.

I told Al to give up on that USB-to-Serial device and try to obtain one
based on the FTDI chipset, which I think has better Windows 7 64-bit drivers
available.

If anyone has an Airlink 101 AC-USBS USB-to-Serial adapter working with
Win-Test under Windows 7 64-bit, I'd like to hear what you had to do to make
it work.