[WT-support] Win Test file location issues

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Nov 23 00:21:05 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Dave Sharred <g3nkc at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> First, it looks like when we created the actual contest file, we put it in
> the root directory of C drive.   Why can I not see it in Explorer? I tried
> to set the PC to show hidden files, but no luck.

Because Windows 7 has new "security features" that prevent software from
actually saving files into system folders like C:\ or C:\Program Files.  The
program "thinks" they are stored there, but they are actually stored in a
"VirtualStore" sub-directory like

\Users\{your account name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

A couple of weeks ago Laurent posted this link, which explains some of the
gory details:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/d73dd67c-f7d4-4d2d-886e-b774141bd24f

Using Windows 7 32-bit, I was able to install Win-Test and store all log
files under C:\WT4\ .  The only problem with keeping all log files in the
same directory is that it confuses the Win-Test Contest Recorder, which
refuses to play back any audio if it finds two MP3 files for the same
contest and the same year in the same directory.