[WT-support] Support for WinKeyer version 23?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Nov 15 20:26:12 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:47 AM, SM5AJV <sm5ajv at qrq.se> wrote:

> If anyone could advice my a work-around I would be happy. Still, I really
> want to use a short PTT-tail time regardless of the speed setting.

One solution is to use Win-Test built-in serial port or parallel port CW/PTT
keying for all computer sending, and use the Winkey only for paddle
sending.  That gives you zero PTT tail for computer-sent CW, but an
appropriate PTT-tail for paddle sending.  Of course your CW VOX delay has to
be set to 0 in the radio.

You can send serial port CW pretty will with an appropriate USB-to-Serial
adapter and serial port keying circuit.  If you have an Elecraft K3, no
external keying circuit is required since DTR/RTS CW and PTT support is
built-in to the radio.

The disadvantage is that you can't interrupt the computer-sent CW by sending
with the paddles; you have to hit the Escape key with your left hand, and
then start sending with paddles with your right (if you are right-handed).
I got very used to doing that, and it's usually not a problem, because in a
contest only 0.5% or less of your CW is going to be sent by paddles.

Frankly, the CW interrupt feature of the Winkey doesn't work nearly as well,
IMHO, as a typical memory keyer.  The Winkey requires two actions:  first
you have to touch the paddle to stop the sending, then you have to let go
and hit it again to start sending.  Most memory keyers just start sending
immediately.

The other more minor disadvantage is that the Winkey speed will not be the
same as the Win-Test keyer speed, but some people like to keep the paddle
speed slower anyway.