[WT-support] 2 Problems during CQ WW

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Nov 6 02:32:45 CET 2010

This Microsoft support note may explain the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303091

With newer “high-resolution” mouse devices, some applications may not
correctly interpret partial scrolling messages. When low resolution wheels
scroll up and down, the mouse driver sends a scroll magnitude of 120 for
each tick of the wheel up and 120 for each tick down. According to the
official documentation, a scrolling value of 120 (or -120) indicates one
line of scrolling. If the application receives less than a full line, it
should either scroll part of a line (which is what Microsoft Word and some
other applications do) or if that’s not possible, save up the value until a
total of 120 is reached (which is what Notepad does). Most current Microsoft
mouse devices are designed to give a smoother scroll experience, so the
wheels are higher resolution and send four times as many scroll events, but
at one-quarter of the magnitude. So instead of 120, they send 30 (or instead
of -120 when scrolling back, they send -30). This should result in scrolling
at the same speed, just more smoothly.

Some applications may not handle this correctly.

For example, they may ignore partial scroll events, or they may interpret a
partial (30) event as a full line (120). There have been instances of some
applications that actually combine both of these incorrect behaviors. For
example, some applications may ignore the positive partial events and treat
negative partial events as a full line, which would result in slow scrolling
forward and fast scrolling backward.

To test whether this is an application-specific problem, compare the
behavior in that application to how scrolling works in Notepad or Microsoft
Word.