[WT-support] Insufficient Function Keys?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Nov 1 08:43:45 CET 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Rick Tavan <rick at tavan.com> wrote:

> Win-Test has a very rich vocabulary for defining function key behavior. But
> it appears only to allow 7 such keys to be defined for each of Run and S&P,
> F1 through F7, and some of them are tied to specific functions. (It also
> allows Insert and Plus to be defined but also ties them to specific
> functions.) Most keyboards have 12 keys, plus additional sets when combined
> with SHIFT, CTRL and ALT. So there could conceivably be up to 48
> programmable functions. I could really use a few more than 7. Is there any
> chance of getting the ability to program F8-F12? Or something like Shift-F1
> through Shift-F7? Does this exist somewhere that I haven't found?

Yes, you can program an unlimited number or CW or RTTY messages very easily
using the Lua scripting facility, Win-Test's "plug-in" or "extension"
feature.  Step-by-step instructions follow.

I assume you were referring to CW or RTTY.

For phone, you can program up to seven voice messages *per operator* when
using the internal Win-Test DVK, and you can use the *Login* command to
switch operators.

Back to CW, say you want to assign F8 to be a "Long CQ" message.

Using WT 4.6:

   1. Select Options | Script editor
configuration<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Options#Script_Editor_Configuration>
and
   define your favorite text editor as shown
   2. In the logging Window, type SCRIPTS [Enter] (this is the text command
   shortcut for Tools | Scripts
manager<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Tools#Scripts_Manager>
   )
   3. Click [New]
   4. Give the new script a meaningful name like *LongCQ* and press [Enter]
   5. This will launch your text editor, editing LongCQ.wts (.wts = Win-Test
   script)
   6. Add one line:
   wtKeyer:Play("CQ CQ $MYCALL $MYCALL")
   and save the file.
   7. Back in the Scripts manager, highlight *LongCQ* by clicking on it with
   the mouse, then click on the [Properties] button
   8. Click the [Define...] button
   9. When prompted for a key assignment, press [F8]
   10. Click [OK]
   11. Click  [OK] again to close the scripts manager
   12. Press [F8] and your long CQ will be sent
   13. Repeat steps 3 to 11 for any message you would like to program to any
   key combination you like, including Shift-F1 to Shift-F12 and Alt-F1 to
   Alt-F12.  Script key assignments *override* the default Win-Test key
   assignment as well as anything you have remapped using Tools | Redefine
   keyboard keys.

Note:  It's best not to use keys that are already used by Win-Test for other
functions, unless you are sure you won't need them in a particular contest.
 The best way to find out how a key is used by Win-Test is to search for it
in the PDF manual <http://download.win-test.com/docs/en/manual.pdf>.

Just about anything you can do with several keypresses in Win-Test can be
automated via a Lua script.  The APIs are partially documented in the
Wiki<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/API>and more fully documented
here <http://download.win-test.com/v4/lua/LuaApiDoc.txt>.

If you would prefer to code all of your CW messages in a *dialog* that you
can easily change in the middle of a contest, rather than "hard coding" them
in a script file, program up to 12 in the Alt-C "additional" messages
dialog<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Options#Modify_additional_messages...>.
 To invoke them with a single keystroke, create a one-line script for each
message:

AltC_F1.wts:
wtKeyer:PlayAdditionalMsg(1)

AltC_F2.wts:
wtKeyer:PlayAdditionalMsg(2)
AltC_F3.wts:
wtKeyer:PlayAdditionalMsg(2)

And assign each script to Alt-F1 to Alt-F12 or whatever key you prefer.