[WT-support] fallback to demo mode when v3 and v4 co-installed on same pc

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jul 18 01:15:37 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Zoli Pitman HA1AG <ha1ag at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have Wintest 3.25.1 in C:\HAM SW\Win-Test. Registered and worked OK.
>
> I installed 4.5.0 in C:\HAM SW\WT4 Registered based on the letter I got
> from WT
> team. It worked OK for the first time (one and only). OS is XP SP3.
>
> Now what happens is that BOTH versions fall back to DEMO mode.
>
> What shall I do to have them both running ok in registered mode?

Re-register Version 3 with the *old* V3 Reg Key.  V3 saves this in
c:\Program Files\WT\wt.ini.

Register Version 4 with the V4 Reg Key.  V4 saves this in c:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Application Data\Win-Test\cfg\wt.ini.

Did you attempt to copy wt.ini from one folder to another?  That could cause
the problem.

if I removed v3 I could generate a v4 key again, but for the time being I
> rather
> stick to v3. (I have no plans and time to upgrade all the pc's on remote
> etc).

You don't have to remove V3 to generate a V4 reg. key.  Just use the old key
with V3 and the new key with V4.

You can run both V3 and V4 on the same machine, no problem.  Just keep them
in separate directories and use the proper reg. key for each.

Also be sure you have not download the v4-demo version by mistake.

More info in the Win-Test
FAQ<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/FAQ:Problems_Registering_and_Running>
.

ps: I found v4.5.1 in the download area but NOD32 (also registered) gave a
> positive on a variant of Win32/Packed.Themida

False alarm.  See the same section of the FAQ for information on how to
verify this (search for the word "Themida.")