[WT-support] u2R and SO2R

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Jul 15 20:04:17 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 5:07 AM, <sm5ajv at qrq.se> wrote:

> I think there are still a few issues in the protocol implementation for
> the microHam protocol. I really hope this will be solved soon.

That may be the case, but without seeing your screen shots we can't rule out
a configuration issue.  Just send them to me privately as this reflector has
a limit on attachments of 4K bytes max or something.

K8DD was using COM8 for both the microHAM control protocol and PTT for both
radios, which is not a good idea.

Since you are using Classic Auto Control via COM port pins, you can disable
the microHAM control protocol completely, and the delays should disappear.
In other words, don't tell Win-Test that you are using a u2R at all.  Leave
the microHAM control port *unchecked*.  With classic auto control switching
should be instantaneous.

In the Router software you should check "Steer WinKey CW/PTT" and uncheck
"Steer serial CW/PTT".  It is only required for software that doesn't
support two radios.  You should use your microHAM u2R WinKey rather than
serial CW as it is can be interrupted by pressing the paddles, and it
off-loads the CW timing issues to the WinKey hardware.

I also think some of the set-ups are in WinTest are rather confusing.
> For instance when you are using the WinKeyer built into a microHam product
> the WinKeyer setup dialog says it should not be used. But is it really so?

It doesn't say that, it just says that whatever you specify in the left side
of the dialog (such as CT-style spacing) will be overridden by similar
settings in the microHAM Router program.

See this link<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Options#WinKey_configuration...>in
the Wiki.

Set the PTT lead and tail to 0 ms; if your CW VOX and TX Relay timing is
working properly, you don't need them.  If the first letter of your callsign
is being clipped and people respond to your calls as IM5AJV, then you do.

In sum, I don't think the microHAM control protocol has ever worked well
with Win-Test for SO2R switching, so use serial or parallel ports pins
instead (Classic Auto Control) as defined via the microHAM Router's SO2R tab
and the Win-Test Interfaces Configuration dialog.