[WT-support] Parallel port keying with Windows 7

W2RU - Bud Hippisley W2RU at frontiernet.net
Sat Feb 27 23:45:31 CET 2010

Overnight I downloaded a 500+ MB 2-part Microsoft free add-on to Win7 Professional or Ultimate.  These packages allow me to run a virtual WinXP 32-bit machine under a 64-bit Win7.  I had to add two files (MSVCP71.DLL and MSVCR71.DLL) manually to the newly-created virtual "Windows\System32" directory to get CT-Win to run, but I did get it going.  Of course, I made sure I had a copy of "DLPortIO.DLL" (and later "INPOUT32.DLL") in my WinXPSystem32 folder.

However, even though I was successful in remapping my two ByteRunner PCI-board COM ports (that use VSCom drivers) to virtual COM ports, and confirmed I had fully operational Radio and Rotor interfaces, I was unable to key the one LPT port seen by WinXP.  (That is, my motherboard-based COM port and one of my two LPT ports are not visible to the virtual WinXP Control Panel | Device Manager.)  Until I understand better why that is and figure out a way to get around it, I don't see this path going anywhere.

Bud, W2RU